

WAVLI Executive Meeting
October 15th 2011, University of Victoria, Harry Hickman Building, Room 120
MINUTES

Attendees: Jessica Siegers, Barbara Zbeetnoff, Robyn Albert, Simon Dorer, Bryan Corry, Heidi Jantz, Karly Sandboe, Anita Warren, Mary Warner, Tanya Creid, Hannah Slade, Kathy Keple, Sarah Coupe, Kristi Falconer, Jen Ferris, Sarah McDiarmid, Farah Ladha, Tess Peters, Carli can Rossum, Stacey Kitteridge, Barbie Murphy, Julia Menzies, Katt Campbell

Students: Tosca Burtenshaw, Leigha Anderson, Nadine Bruneau, Catie Woodward,

Non-members: none

Regrets: Laine Leveque, Susi Bolender, Suzie Giroux, Rebecca McCormick

Call to order: 9:50am

- 1. Approval of Agenda: Robyn and Tess**
- 2. Motion Accept Last Meeting's minutes: Simon and Julia**
- 3. Housekeeping: Will keep each item of discussion to 10 mins. If needed we can motion to extend discussion time.**
-washrooms

4. Executive reports

- 4.1 President – Jessica – attached
- 4.2 Past President – Susi- nothing to report
- 4.3 Vice President – Julia- nothing to report
- 4.4 Treasurer – Simon – attached
- 4.5 Secretary – Barb – nothing to report
- 4.6 Member –at-Large – Laine - nothing to report

5. Committee Reports:

- 5.1 Professional Standards-** Robyn – attached
- 5.2 Professional Development** –Anita and Karly – attached
- 5.3 Public Relations** – Barbie – approached to do a job fair at a local high school
- 5.4 Fundraising** – Carli and Tess- nothing to report
- 5.5 Membership** – Rebecca – nothing to report
- 5.6 Newsletter** – Suzie – nothing to report and still looking for a new chair.
- 5.7 Directory-** Stacey – nothing to report. Directory still not returned from the designer.
Numerous emails have been sent from me and vice president, but to date no response.
- 5.8 Technology-** Bryan – attached.

Motion to accept Reports: Barbie and Simon

6. Old Business

6.1 Updates on Action Items from the last meeting

ACTION ITEM: Jessica will talk to both George and AVLIC regarding the legal complications of WAVLI referring members to an insurance provider.

I have not heard back as he is on vacation but I will follow up when I have information.

TABLED

ACTION ITEM: Bryan will draft up a contract stated that if any damage would incur to the computer and property

Complications arose. I will discuss in new business.

ACTION ITEM: Simon will send current details of our webhosting and webmastering contract and specifics to Bryan. Bryan will take that information and do some research.

COMPLETED

ACTION ITEM: Bryan will draft a letter to present to the board
Under new business.

ACTION ITEM: Heather will make sure that the DIs issue is included with the education of
OTP.

Written FAQs have been sent out and Heather is working on an ASL portion this weekend.

ONGOING

ACTION ITEM: Barbara will send something out to the membership regarding the meeting
ASAP. COMPLETED

ACTION ITEM: Professional Development will draft up certificate and a sample ready for Oct
meeting.

We have made a certificate. Electronic certificate with a border (Thanks technology
committee!) will be a pdf document and emailed to attendees. It can be mailed but we are
trying to save paper. Certificate was shown and some format changes were suggested.
COMPLETED

Motion to Close Old Business: Simon and Julia

7. New Business

7.1 Discussion around remote community representative write up/announcement-Bryan

I will send out the letter to membership I drafted up, and see how many communities want to
be involved and seeing what process we would use to decide who would be representatives.
Bryan will be the contact for the membership regarding this topic, while this is getting set up.
In the future the MAL will take on the duties once everything is running.

The idea is that the representative will canvass the community for information and concerns
from local members and bring them up to the board.

**ACTION ITEM: Bryan will get the letter to the membership and start co-ordinating with
interested parties.**

We are planning to use Oovoo for the board meetings and a broadcast site for AGM.

7.2 WAVLI sponsoring a Deaf community event-Anita

A Deaf comedian wants to host a stand-up comedy event in November and would like WAVLI
to co-sponsor the night. We aren't sure if other organizations are sponsoring. I haven't heard
back from comedian. Is it possible for WAVLI to help sponsor? This is a fundraising event.
This is pending on the comedian's response and then the board can vote electronically as to
whether or not we can sponsor.

**ACTION ITEM: Simon will find policy regarding the dollar amount that WAVLI is
allowed to donate to an event.**

**ACTION ITEM: The fundraising committee will take on correspondence with Deaf
comedian.**

7.3 Pro-D teaming up with VCC to offer workshop-Anita

VCC approached Pro-D committee to partner with them to put on a workshop where
proceeds go to the Leona Parr-Hamel Award.

Pro-D can respond to VCC and say that WAVLI is interested in supporting this venture but we
need more information as to what they are wanting from WAVLI. If they want volunteer hours
then we can put out the request and workshop information over listserv.

**7.4 Update on the progress of establishing a hard-wired connection for broadcasting
WAVLI meetings-Bryan**

Most problems in the past were because the WiFi network has a time limit and an extremely
limiting bandwidth. We have been looking into getting a hard wire. At Douglas you need one
room, one computer, one registered port. Cheryl Palmer had offered a INTR laptop but no
longer can. We are looking into different post-secondary institutions such as BCIT or VCC as
venues for AGMs and meetings.

As of right now, because many people want to use this media, we want to make sure it is a
reliable source before members use the service. Because of that, it is unlikely that the next
AGM will be broadcast.

Have you looked into internet stick? Yes we did. The data usage is quite high for broadcasting and it could become quite pricey.

ACTION ITEM: Bryan will continue working on the situation and send updates to the board after the committee meets.

7.5 Discuss future of the directory, how to have it designed, who will do it? What to do with current situation?-Stacey

Information was compiled and sent to designer in August and it has been there since. Julia and I have talked.

Next year this can't happen. We could rent the system we are using for directory for 4 months for a cost and people are willing to learn the program. We should keep the WAVLI and designer a professional relationship.

Should we sever ties with the designer? The board agrees that we should sever the ties with the designer.

ACTION ITEM: Monday morning Directory committee will send the designer cease of service letter.

We have the bios. The preamble and information that comes after the bios, information that the designer has, we could compile again.

ACTION ITEM: Jessica will investigate the compiling contracts and contact time line for contract work.

ACTION ITEM: Barbie will send a great contract work contract example to Jessica.

ACTION ITEM: Directory committee will talk with Tosca Burtenshaw with a possible quick fix for this year's directory.

7.6 Member's renewal that they thought they did but did not actually do

There was an email from AVLIC stated possible actions that WAVLI could take.

A member was sick and had contacted WAVLI prior to a legitimate illness. (an illness that is documented) For whatever reason, the interpreter accidentally let her membership expire.

We will make an exception in this situation.

WAVLI should ask for documentation from the member to cover ourselves

ACTION ITEM: Jessica will respond to AVLIC regarding our decided actions regarding the member.

7.7 Membership cards redesign

As part at the OTP education we are stressing to members to always show your membership card and a redesign of the card to include a photo.

Do we want to see all three titles on the card? A discussion needs to be had.

TABLE THIS DISCUSSION TO NOVEMBER MEETING.

ACTION ITEM: Fundraiser committee will look into WAVLI langards for a membership card as a possible fundraising opportunity.

7.8 Policy and Procedures- ratify the PSC Policies and Procedures

MOTION : We as the board agree to adopt the document "Complaints and Discipline Policies and Procedures" in principle, pending grammatical corrections and format changes.

Moved: Jessica

Seconded: Robyn

PASSED

7.9 Council of Service Providers (CSP) update

Jessica attended the meeting yesterday. CSP asked WAVLI to be there. They wanted to know what OTP means for them. We stressed the need to ask for membership cards.

Deaf community agency is asking for WAVLI support to make movies accessible by including closed captioning. They are asking for WAVLI to support via letters as a human rights issue.

They also want WAVLI support for an immediate decision on the needed and useful need of interpreting service across Canada and an access and human rights issue.

They are asking for individuals to send individual letters on both issues to the appropriate people.

ACTION ITEM: Jessica will get both of these topics out to the listserv.

7.10 Portfolios

Simon and Julia have been looking at board responsibilities. Some positions do not have portfolios. Julia will be meeting with each position and going over their positions duties and any changes that need to be made to their portfolios.

TABLE DISCUSSION TO NOVEMBER MEETING

7.11 Check-ins

Julia will check in with committees. Most committees do not have members, only chairs and how we can help.

And how can we get more committee members on board.

7.12 November 5th meeting, why can it not my recorded?

The concern around recording and even if its password protected, a person might go and take clips and misrepresent WAVLI and their position.

There will eventually be recorded information.

November 5th is not the only planned community meeting. Other meetings will be scheduled.

The onus is on the membership to read the educational materials being sent out and for the members to be informed before coming to the meeting.

There will be a summary of main points but no minutes from the meeting.

Heather Perry, our educational representative, is open to remote meetings.

Motion to Close New Business: Bryan and Simon

8. Announcements/Presentations: Let's talk at 1pm!

Motion to Adjourn: Carli and Julia

9. Adjournment: 12:19pm

NEXT EXECUTIVE MEETING: Monday November 14th, 2011

Jessica Siegers

October 12, 2011

ACTIVITIES TO DATE

- 1) Chaired Sept board meeting

- 2) Email discussions with George Bryce re: OTP, and other legalities for WAVLI
- 3) Email discussions with Board Chairs/Reps in regards to board responsibilities and expectations
- 4) Met with various Board members (VP, OTP and Tech Committee) in an effort to streamline WAVLI operations
- 5) Corresponded with various Deaf community associations re: mutual support
- 6) Email discussions with Robyn Albert and Heather Perry re: OTP issues and process
- 7) Assisted in facilitating what needs to happen to make the October WAVLI meeting in Victoria a reality
- 8) Email discussions with AVLIC and other AC presidents
- 9) Email and face to face discussions with the Douglas IEP regarding students rights and responsibilities regarding WAVLI membership.
- 10) Attended and presented (on OTP and what that means for the community) at the October Council of Service Providers meeting

ONGOING ACTIVITIES

- 1) Email discussions with legal rep re: title protection, board filings, report keeping, etc
- 2) Compiling a "year in WAVLI"
- 3) meetings with Board members/committee chairs to clarify roles and responsibilities
- 4) email correspondence with AVLIC AC Presidents and AVLIC Board re: updates and national issues

FUTURE INITIATIVES

- 1) planning a Fall business meeting in Victoria
- 2) helping OTP Committee planning the educational push for OTP to members and the public

Treasurer's Report for October 15th 2011 Meeting

Activities to Date:

- Transferred paypal account monies to the WAVLI chequing account.
- Reconciled the month of August, October banks statements not yet received.
- Communicated with Tech committee regarding webhost (DollarHost) and webmaster information.

Ongoing Activities:

- Regular email correspondence
- Emptying PO Box and distributing mail.

Future Initiatives:

- None at this time

Professional Development

Co-chairs: Anita Warren and Karly Sandboe

professionaldevelopment@gmail.com

ACTIVITIES TO DATE

- I. Attended board meetings
- II. Responded to inquires and suggestions from the membership
- III. Offered various workshops and professional development opportunities
- IV. Worked with tech committee to draft a PDF completion certificate for workshop attendants

ONGOING ACTIVITIES

- I. Attending board meetings
- II. Preparing and advertising for upcoming workshops
- III. Responding to member inquiries and suggestions
- IV. Working with interpreters outside of the Lower Mainland to increase access to professional development opportunities

FUTURE ACTIVITIES

- I. Upcoming professional development...

- *Trauma workshop (title TBA) November 10, 2012*

Facilitated by Heather Perry

- *Law Courts Tour Part II/Court observation* **January 2012**
- *CES-Interpretation of Interactive Interviews* **February 2012**

Facilitated by Deloris Piper

Professional Standards Report

To Date:

- Corresponded with consumers/interpreters regarding complaints
- Email/phone discussions with AVLIC IRPs Barb Mykle-Hotzon
- Responded to board emails
- Reviewed bylaws and draft of policy and procedures
- Made flow chart from draft of policy and procedures
- Email discussions with other members of the PSC

Future plans:

- Facilitate "Let's Talk" session with Island interpreters
- Respond to member/consumer concerns.
- Meet with PSC members

WAVLI Technology Committee

Activities to date:

- Met with and supported the Professional Development Committee to create a workshop attendance certificate template
- Created and send a list of necessary resources for online broadcasting to MAPSLI chapter president
- Met with WAVLI president to further define the role and goals of the Technology Committee
- Collected and summarized changes made to the WAVLI.com website over the past year to aid in the search for potential Webmasters.

Ongoing activities:

- Looking for and compiling list of potential webmasters for presentation at November board meeting

-Providing information and support to MAPSLI chapter president as MAPSLI starts to broadcast online.

-Providing Technology related information and support to Board members and committees on an as needed basis.

-Liaising between the web-master of www.WAVLI.com and the WAVLI executive board.

-Looking for technologically savvy WAVLI members outside the lower-mainland to join the Technology Committee, as to better provide broadcasting and technology related services throughout British Columbia.

Future Initiatives:

-Create an online resource document on the topic of live web-broadcasting for distribution to interested parties in other AVLIC chapters.

-Create a online resource document for remote users accessing live web-broadcasts.

In order to better serve the general membership, the WAVLI executive board is interested in finding members from communities outside of the lower mainland to serve as liaisons between the WAVLI executive board and his/her local community.

These liaisons would work closely with the WAVLI Member At Large, serving as resource person for both the WAVLI board and the interpreters within the representative's local community. It is our hope that these local community representatives will help us better understand the challenges, opinions and needs of each of the interpreting communities throughout British Columbia.

If you are located in a community outside of the lower mainland are interested in becoming a liaison for your local community, please contact Bryan Corry at Technology@wavli.com